- Water repelling (hydrophobic) Properties – An ultra-thin coating is normally hydrophobic. This is because it is normally a fluoropolymer technology. The coating does not allow the water to wet on the on the surface of the coating. It modifies the surface and changes its dyne energy. A typical conformal coating like an acrylic or polyurethane is not water repellent and water wets the surface.
- Ultra-thin –Typical coating thickness is 1-2um for a coating (depending on application) compared to the acrylic, urethane and silicone conformal coatings that are applied at >25um.
- No masking of connectors required – The circuit board can be completely submerged in the coating liquid with no masking applied. Due to the extremely thin coating applied (<1-2um), the components can be connected together and the electrical connection is easily made. This would not be possible for a standard conformal coating. So, costs of processing are extremely low.
- Simple application process – The ultra-thin coating can be applied by dip, brush or spray. But, the simplest method is dipping. Since there is no masking then the dip process is simple and is an extremely cost effective application method.
- Fast drying – Since the coating is ultra-thin and the solvents normally used are fast drying then the fluoropolymer coating dries extremely quickly. The coating can be dry in seconds and ready for use in a few minutes.
Need to find out more?
For further information on the ultra-thin, nano- coatings then contact us directly.
Or, you can go to our free eBook by clicking fluoropolymer coating materials now.
If you are new to Nexus and our work on conformal coatings then a good place to go is our Start Here page.