- Plasma cleaning can clean surfaces of the circuit board 100% to improve adhesion and surface energy of the product. Generally, conformal coatings must exhibit good adhesion in order to be effective.
- There is no single theory that describes the property of adhesion for coatings. There are several basic mechanisms for coatings that are known to define good adhesion. They are adsorption, chemical bonding, and mechanical interlocking:
- Adsorption is where the molecules in the conformal coating wet or flow freely over the substrate and make intimate contact with the substrate. This forms interfacial (electrostatic) bonds with van-der-Waal forces.
- Chemical bonds are formed at the interface between the conformal coating and the substrate.
- The conformal coating film penetrates the roughness on the substrate surface. This results in mechanical interlocking once the coating dries.
All three of mechanisms do not have to occur to form good adhesion. Depending on the specific conformal coating system, substrate, and application method, different mechanisms could work. However, good wetting or adsorption is normally required.
- Many wet chemistry cleaning processes can be eliminated. Methods using cleaning chemistries, water processing and drying energy become unnecessary.
- The significant improvement in adhesion enables the use of alternative conformal coatings and other chemical vapour deposition coatings (CVD) that may have difficulty adhering to circuit boards without the treatment.
- The plasma cleaning process is a simple, safe and environmentally friendly technology.
Plasma cleaning can clean surfaces of the circuit board 100% to improve adhesion and surface energy of the product. Generally, conformal coatings must exhibit good adhesion in order to be effective.
Need to find out more?
For further information on plasma cleaning for conformal coating processing then contact us directly.
If you are new to Nexus and our work on conformal coatings then a good place to go is our Start Here page or our free conformal coating ebook.