Selective spraying of conformal coating using an automated robot system is one of the widest used application methods in high volume processing.
The principle is that the conformal coating is applied selectively by a small spray gun to the circuit board to the areas requiring coating only.
The selective process deliberately does not apply the conformal coating to areas that normally require masking such as connectors and other components.
This selective application of the conformal coating to the circuit board can avoid using a time consuming masking process and costs can normally be reduced.
What equipment do you need for selective spraying?
A specialist robotic system designed for application of conformal coatings is normally required for selective coating.
The robotic system will be fitted with various conformal coating spray valves that apply the different types of conformal coating material to the circuit board using different spray patterns.
The level of movement of the robot can vary with systems having three, four, five and even six axes of movement for the spray valves.
Want to find out more about application of conformal coatings to circuit boards by selective robots?
Click to find out more about questions such as:
- What equipment do you need for selective spraying?
- What specialist valves are required for applying different types of conformal coating?
- Which conformal coatings can be used in selective spraying?
- Is selective spraying of conformal coating a complex process?
- How cost effective is selective spraying of conformal coating as a process?
- What variables control the quality of the conformal coating finish in selective spraying?
- What are five advantages of the selective spray conformal coating process?
- What are five disadvantages of the selective spray conformal coating process?
Need to find out more?
Go directly to our conformal coating selective spray application section or contact us directly and we can help you.
If you are new to Nexus and our work on conformal coatings then a good place to go is our Start Here page or our free conformal coating eBook.
Images 1 and 2 courtesy of PVA (Precision Valve Automation).